Friday 25 July 2008

Have Asus lost the plot (and a future customer)?

4 months ago, I was the happy owner of an Asus Eee PC 701

2 months ago, I was the happy owner of an Asus Eee PC 900 which resolved my main issue with the 701. The screen and resolution is actually of a usable size.

Today, I am a somewhat confused and rejected (in a "dumped in a relationship" kind of way) owner of my Eee PCs.

What on earth are Asus thinking?

I'm all for newer models. Progress and innovation is a good thing. But releasing FIVE new models in TWO months does not instill consumer confidence in your products.

And these models are not really different from each other, it's as though Asus had these big pile of components lying around and played "mix and match". Some have Intel Atom CPUs, some don't (so that's kind of a step back, seeing the Atom is the next big thing in mobile CPUs)

Kudos to Asus for innovation with the Eee PC and creating a new market of ultra-portable notebooks. But honestly, I think they've lost the plot. I doubt my next purchase will be from them. That MSI Wind looks very attractive.

P.S. Don't worry Eee PC 900. I won't dump you like your maker apparently did :-)

No comments: