Tuesday 2 May 2017

It's like the early days of the internet!

Been going back on the MapGuide dev train.

One of the features I'm experimenting with is UTFGrid rendering.

I've mentioned in previous posts, how in the process of fleshing out an idea that you don't know whether it will work or not, that there comes a flash point. A moment where your idea tips from uncertainty to "yes it can be done, so let's get it done!"

I have just reached that moment again.


It's like the early days of dial-up internet. ASCII art galore!

So off the bat, 2 things I can see:

  • The Y-axis is flipped, oops.
  • I misread the UTFGrid spec. I'm not meant to do a pixel-by-pixel replacement here.
Once these 2 things are sorted, it's just a case of mapping each character to the feature attributes (that the renderer is also tracking) and we have enough data to assemble the final UTFGrid tile

No comments: