Monday 18 December 2023

Minor change of plans

There will be a slight change of plans in the MapGuide Open Source 4.0 release timeline.

Namely, the next release will not be the Release Candidate, but rather a 2nd beta release.

The main driver behind this decision is because of my intention to remove the recently introduced support for Mapbox Vector Tiles. While I initially had high hopes with this implementation, additional testing with data outside of the example Sheboygan dataset has revealed rendering issues I do not have the capability to address. Rather than ship a half-baked implementation that may never bake fully, I'd rather bow out while we still can, remove this immature implementation, and leave MVT tile generation to dedicated external tools.

A 2nd beta release will also mean that the other changes I want to get in will also have some time to bake before the Release Candidate stage.

I am hoping the 2nd beta release will be out late January in the new year.

No comments: