5 months ago, I laid down the plans for what was going to happen going forward with my various open source projects. But after that post, it has been nothing but ... silence! If you were to look at my GitHub contribution graph, there was also a noticeable drop-off there too.
So what happened?
What happened was there was a major rug-pull. GitHub copilot changed their pricing model to usage-based billing on June 1 and that completely threw by GH copilot powered plans into complete disarray. The existing subscription at that point pretty much amounted to ~30 spins on the AI slot machine per month, hoping it will produce the outcome I desire and that was just untenable for something I am paying out of my own pocket!
So come June 1, I terminated my GitHub copilot pro subscription and pondered what my next moves were going to be. I wasn't going to give up on the productivity gains that agentic coding gave me, so the option was clearly to look for alternative AI coding provider. Because try as I might (I religiously keep watch on advancements in LocalLlama), locally hosted AI coding models is not (yet) tenable on my personal hardware. I bought that PC to 6 years ago to last a decade at least, and it will still last a decade as long as you give up on locally hosted AI models as desired workload.
I eventually settled on Deepseek and straight away, its payment model was very attractive to me: Just load up your account on credits and reload when credits start running low. This was a low risk approach where I loaded up $20 USD in credits, give it a spin on my various open source projects. If Deepseek didn't pan out for my use cases, no harm, no foul. I simply don't reload with any more credits. But if it did work out for me, I can just load more credits as I go.
So as my initial $20 load is down to its final dollar after several months of sporadic evaluation. I can confidently say that Deepseek adequately meets my AI coding agent needs while maintaining the "bang for buck" that I used to have with GH copilot before their June 1 rug-pull. I will lose some capabilities from GH copilot (cloud agents was nice), but they are acceptable losses.
So what that means in the grand scheme is that I should start ramping up my OSS dev machinery again and resume the plans that I had stated 5 months ago. Our regular broadcasting will resume shortly!

No comments:
Post a Comment